Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Small Update

Classes are starting out really well. I've had two, 4 hour Kiswahili classes this week. 4 hours is quite long, but we learn so much in one class that it's totally worth it. I can have a small conversation in Swahili now, it's crazy amazing! I can introduce myself, say where I'm from, where and what I study, where I am currently staying. I can talk about my family. These are just a few of the things we've been learning The constructions (at least in the present tense) are super easy and I am picking up on basic vocabulary to talk about myself and people around me. It's so much fun and I can't wait to get better at it. I've had two sessions of my Country Analysis class now and it is also amazing. I have been writing about so many interesting things dealing with colonization (specifically of Africa/Kenya), democracy, economy, and development as it relates to these things. I feel like I have learned so much in the 2 days we've had class. I love it! Tomorrow we have the first class in International Development. I'll let you know how it goes soon.

Aside from classes, things are going well. I've gotten lost a few times with friends trying to find our way home but it has really helped us learn our way around the immediate area. We've gone to a few markets and malls after school to figure out what is near us. There have been 2 rain storms (out of the ordinary because the short rains aren't supposed to start until the end of October) so walking home has been a bit tricky. Many of the roads are not paved so the slightest bit of rain leaves them roads of mud. I'm getting really good at learning how to wash my shoes after being submerged up to my ankles in muddy water!

My family is still great. I am fed so much food and I'm getting to try lots of new things. The boys and I have fun reading and playing after school. Today Tua read me a book about Hugo traveling around Africa (I think Hugo is a hippo...I can't remember). It was really cute and he is really smart. The three of us played trivial pursuit and built planes and cars out of legos. It's nice to have time to spend with people just enjoying life instead of always being stressed and running around working insane hours at the theatre. Many valuable things can be learned from interacting with the people around you and taking a little time to get to know them. I think that aspect of social and communal interaction is very present here and is often lacking in America. People with stop to say hello and inquire about the well-being of someone and there family on their way to work. If the conversation continues for a long time, people will be late to appointments for the sake of this personal exchange. There are very different priorities around here. No one way is necessarily better than another, but it is a new experience for me to observe this type of social interaction. I really enjoy it.

I have been welcomed to Kenya by so many locals on the street as they wave and smile at me. I know I stick out because of the color of my skin (and am reminded of it every time someone says 'mzungu' as I walk by) but there is still a sense of warmth and welcome to the voices of many who greet me. Mzungu is the Swahili word for white person. It is not a derogatory term, it is simply a way to articulate a difference in skin color, and therefore wealth. It is interesting how everyone assumes a white person is wealthy. I guess this may be true in many cases, but there are many people, just in the area I live in, who are living a lifestyle I may never have.

The distribution of wealth in Kenya is interesting and complicated and I am still trying to figure it all out. The largest slum in the world, Kibera, is located minutes from my extremely wealthy neighborhood. It is part of Nairobi, the capital city which is considered to be the most developed area in Kenya. This dual economy...functioning in the same city is unintelligible to me. How does this happen? How can it change?

Just a few thoughts. Anyways, I guess this post ended up being not so small. I have to go now but it was great to update. Thanks for your posts everyone. I miss you guys and I think about you all the time. Mom, I hope your class is doing well and that school isn't too stressful. Dad, I hope work is keeping you on your toes, but not too busy. Rach, I hope planning for the big move is going well. I would love to see pictures of your new place whenever you know what it will be. Grandma and Grandpa, thank you so much for your email. It meant a lot to me to hear from you and I am so glad you are able to keep up with this blog. I look forward to reading about your thoughts again soon. To anyone else who is reading and hasn't been able to contact me, thank you for your support and I hope you are enjoying the little bit I am able to write about.

I can't wait to talk to you guys this weekend (mom, dad, rach...you better be home when dad calls me!) I'll post again soon. All my love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW!!! In your own words it sounds AMAZING. I am learning so much from reading about your adventures. Sounds like this will be a very rich and rewarding experience. Keep the posts coming as I sure enjoy reading them. We think about you everyday and only wish you well. With all my Love
Dad

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dad. I enjoy your posts and sometimes read them more than once. I have shared your blog with some friends at work. They are enjoying reading your blog as well.

Nakupenda!
Mom